Cardamom(अलैंची) is a spice made from the seed pods of various plants in the ginger family. Cardamom pods are spindle-shaped and have a triangular cross-section. The pods contain a number of seeds, but the entire cardamom pod can be used whole or ground. The seeds are small and black, while the pods differ in color and size by species. Cardamom is used to spice both sweet and savory dishes. It is widely employed in Indian, Middle Eastern, Arabic, and Swedish cuisine.
People may purchase cardamom as:
- whole seed pods with the seeds inside
- pre-ground cardamom spice powder, which manufacturers produce from seeds
- an essential oil
- an herbal supplement, usually in the form of a capsule
Health Benefit of Cardamom are:
- The oil from cardamom seeds may be able to kill bacteria and fungi.
- Cardamom powder had a lower weight and better cholesterol than those that did not receive this supplement.
- Cardamom may help fight bacteria in the mouth, a common cause of bad breath, cavities, and gum disease.
- Cardamom contains natural phytochemicals that may be able to fight diseases such as cancer.
- Cardamom could help with digestive ailments.
- Cardamom contains several vitamins and minerals, as well as some fiber. It is also very low in carbohydrates and calories.
There are no reported risks of using cardamom in cooking or any known adverse side effects. Using cardamom as a spice and flavor agent is safe for most people.